Proxmox Virtual Environment or Proxmox VE for short, is a software for server virtualization which in turn is open source, based on Debian Linux with the RHEL kernel, modified to allow you to create and run new virtual machines for private servers and containers.
Proxmox offers you two types of virtualization: complete virtualization with KVM and containers with LXC.
Proxmox gives you an easy way to install and configure virtual machines in the browser window (Java Iced tea plugin required), provides handy tools and REST APIs for third-party applications. If you want to install Proxmox on the server you want to work with, then you need to check:
The processor / motherboard you buy if it has support for Intel VT / AMD-V processor, at least 2 GB RAM for the system Proxmox VE operating and service.
We will show you how to install Proxmox on your server
- Support for local storage with LVM, directories and ZFS.
- NAS support with iSCSI, Fiber Channel, NFS, GlusterFS, CEPH and DRBD.
- Cluster support for creating high-availability clusters.
- Live migration, virtual machines can be moved from one host to another without downtime.
- Proxmox offers server software that can be downloaded via a graphical interface.
1. Create an IPMI session from the Mivolcoud console.
2. Install the available Proxmox ISO on the server http://download.proxmox.com/iso/
3. Start the server from the ISO file by selecting the virtual drive in the startup options.
4. Proxmox EULA will be displayed. Accept this by clicking "I agree":
5. A summary of the Proxmox installer will be displayed. Click "Options" at the bottom of the page:
6. Select the RAID level for Proxmox. To mirror the data on both drives, select zfs (RAID1), and then click Next to continue with the installation:
7. Enter the location of your server and select the time zone to be used, then click "Next" to proceed to the next step:
8. Enter a strong administrator password of at least eight characters, your confirmation and contact email address. Proxmox will send important notifications to this email address, so please make sure it is valid. When you're done, click "Next":
9. Set up a management network. This will be the network interface where the web interface and the Proxmox API will be available. It is recommended that you set it up on your primary email address.
The network configuration should look like this:
- Management interface: The first network interface on your computer (for example, eno1).
- Hostname (FQDN): A fully qualified domain name for your host (for example, proxmox.mydomain.com)
- IP address: Mivolcoud's primary IP address (e.g. 220.127.116.11).
- Netmask: subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
- Gateway: The gateway for the virtual machine. It is available on the primary IP addresses of your servers ending in .1 (example: 18.104.22.168).
- DNS server: the DNS server allowed for use (for example, 22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199)
10. A configuration summary will be displayed. Make sure all options are correct before clicking Install to begin the installation:
11. The machine is being installed. It may take some time. After the installation is complete, a confirmation will be displayed. Click Reboot to restart the server before accessing the Proxmox web interface:
Access to Proxmox
After restarting the server, the Proxmox web interface becomes available.
After restarting the server, we can now access Debian Proxmox from the address bar with the IP address of the server with https and port 8006. In my case:
Log in to the Proxmox administrator using your root username and password. Once we have logged in to the web interface, we need to configure the network for Proxmox.
I have a single network interface «eth0» for outbound connections with an IP address «192.168.168.168», gateway - «192.168.55.254».
At this time, we want to create a new network interface (bridge) «vmbr0», then we enable routing on that network interface and enable arp proxy on the original interface «eth0».
Vmbr0 - this is the interface for VMs (virtual machines) in Proxmox.
This is a good option if we only have a public IP address and want the virtual machine to be hidden behind the host's IP address.
Introduceți următoarele acreditări de conectare:
Nume utilizator: root
Parolă: Parola setată în timpul instalării Proxmox.
Domeniu de aplicare: Linux PAM Standard Authentication
Limbă: limba interfeței Proxmox (de exemplu, engleză).
2. The Proxmox Control Panel will be displayed. You can now continue to deploy and manage virtual machines:
Not every vendor will provide the necessary configurations for Proxmox, but at Mivocloud you will find the best solution for creating your own hypervisor, if you think you can't install Proxmox then at Mivocloud is a perfect option as "Server management" which gives you the right to rest while the experts set up your server as soon as possible, in addition, we perform non-stop monitoring of your server so that your business can thrive.